Casting Websites info and price breakdown(LA CASTING, ACTORS ACCESS, ETC.) Also, Companies to avoid.
1. LA CASTING: Also known as Casting Networks. Used mainly for commercials, student films, independent films, reality tv, and some background work. LA Casting is not a casting company, they are a business that provides the online platform for outside casting directors to create accounts and cast talent for work and auditions. For example, ANY casting director can use LA Casting. So do not call LA Casting thinking you will talk to a casting director, they are simply only acting as a middle man between actors, agents, and casting directors. Agents use LA Casting for ALL major national, regional, and local SAG and non union commercial and print work. 99% of EVERYTHING commercially goes through LA Casting, however, as an actor you will not be able to see this because only agents have access to that information. When signing up with LA Casting as an actor, be aware that you will only see 30% of the jobs posted on there, because the agents are the only ones that can see the other 70%.
Payment/cost breakdown for LA Casting is as follows:
Month to Month:
Set up fee (IF BRAND NEW TO LAC ONLY): $20.00 one time fee
With agent and NO self submissions: $0.00/Month
With or Without an agent and unlimited submissions: $9.99/Month
With or WIthout an agent, unlimited submissions, plus media (Video/Reel) hosting: $14.95/Month
6 Months Prepaid: $79. 95 with NO set up fee (IF BRAND NEW TO LAC ONLY): Comes out to $13.95/Month
1 Year Prepaid: $154.95 with NO set up fee (IF BRAND NEW TO LAC ONLY): Comes out to $12.95/Month
**THERE IS NO OPTION TO PAY PER SUBMISSION**
-1st photo free (NOT INTERCHANGEABLE): Once you use your one free photo, your free photo option is gone, even if you decide to delete that photo.
-1 free photo allowed ONLY when you add or change agents, but the photo must be added within 30 days of adding agency. (YOU CAN ACTUALLY EMAIL OR CALL THEM TO ASK FOR AN EXTENSION OF YOUR FREE PHOTO IF YOU ARE WORKING ON GETTING NEW HEADSHOTS DONE)
-ALL OTHER PHOTOS: $25.00 each if adding only one at a time. If adding more than one photo at the same time it costs $25.00 for the first photo, and then $15.00 per photo after that. (RECOMMEND ALWAYS ADDING MORE THAN ONE PHOTO TO LA CASTING AT THE SAME TIME TO SAVE A LITTLE BIT OF MONEY).
***UNKNOWN TIP ON LA CASTING. IF YOU HAVE A PHOTO ALREADY ON LA CASTING THAT IS PAID OR FREE AND YOU GET IT RETOUCHED, LA CASTING WILL SWAP OUT THE EXACT SAME RETOUCHED VERSION OF YOUR PHOTO FOR FREE, YOU JUST HAVE TO ASK THEM***
2. ACTORS ACCESS: Actor accessible version of Breakdowns Express. Used mainly for TV, film, student films and theatre work. Similar to LA Casting, Actors Access is not a casting company, they are a business that provides the online platform for outside casting directors to create accounts and cast talent for work and auditions. For example, ANY casting director can use Actors Access. So do not call Actors Access thinking you will talk to a casting director, they are simply only acting as a middle man between actors, agents, managers and casting directors. Agents and mangers use Breakdowns Express for ALL major TV and Film work. 99% of EVERYTHING TV, film and theatre goes through Actors Access; however, as an actor you will not be able to see this because only agents and managers have access to that information. When signing up with Actors Access as an actor, be aware that you will only see 30% of the jobs posted on there, because the agents and manager are the only ones that can see the other 70%.
Payment/Cost breakdown for Actors Access is as follows:
Per submission: $2.00 each submission. (JUST BE CAREFUL WITH THIS OPTION IF YOU CHOOSE IT BECAUSE IT ADDS UP QUICKLY AND YOU MAY END UP SPENDING MORE MONEY THAN NECESSARY.)
Year subcription: VIA Showfax.com $68.00/YR for UNLIMITED SUBMISSIONS. Check it out here: https://www.showfax.com/signup.cfm
-First two photos free. Interchangeable at any time.
-All photos after the first two free ones: $10.00 Each.
3. CASTING FRONTIER: Similar to LA Casting, but not as large. Used for COMMERCIALS. HOWEVER, only used by a select few large commercial casting directors.
-Basic Profile: FREE (INCLUDES 1 headshot, 1 resume and Unlimited submissions)
-Premium Profile: $6.00/Month or $39.00/YR. (Includes 5 headshots, 1 resume, unlimited submissions, mp3 voice reel/clip and link to website)
-Premium Plus Profile: $10.00/Month or $65.00/YR. (Includes 10 headshots, 1 resume, link to website, 1 mp3 voice reel/clip and a video reel or clip.)
4. EXTRAS ACCESS: Affiliated with Actors Access/Breakdowns Express. Used ONLY for extra work. Lots of student film and non-paying extra work is posted here, but also occasional paying and legitimate BG work too.
Payment/Cost breakdown for Extras Access is as follows:
Per Submission: $2.00/Each
Unlimited Submissions in LA: $50.00/YR
Unlimited Submissions in LA and NY: $75.00/YR
**5. There are a few other companies, but I personally don't suggest them, nor do I subscribe, but they are legitamate. These companies are: Backstage and Now Casting. Information about payment breakdown for those companies can be found at their website. Backstage is a lot of theatre and plays, whereas Now Casting is similar to Actors Access only is not as large or frequently used by CD's.
DIRT BAG COMPANIES TO AVOID:
1. Exploretalent- Overcharges for castings that you can find for free ie Craigslist. They also steal breakdowns from legit sites like Actors Access and post it as their own. Most of what they steal are outdated and posted without the original poster's consent. It also was owned by Blake Yoon who had a scammy casting company called B.A.M.
2. One Source Talent-Similar to Explore talent. They charge you $400 to have a digital comp card on their site with a $30 monthly fee. They tell you to use their photographer that charges at least another $500-800. The only CDs that they work with are reality show ones ie. MTV, VH1
3. John Robert Powers-It's a crappy franchise that banks on a famous and DEAD agent's name. They charge a ridiculous price and claim that many celebrities went through the school such as John Wayne, Lucille Ball, etc. NONE of them did!
4. John Casablancas-Crappy franchise like JRP. Dishonest business practices as well.
5. Keith Wolfe-Career consultant who charges $400 to hook you up with scammy agencies like Dedicated and Don Gerler(Doug Bennet). False promises.
6. Hollywood Company/Model One Casting-Charge up front fees for extra work that doesn't exist and management services. They claim that they're sister companies with Central Casting, a legit extras casting service. THEY AREN'T!
7. Infinitetalent-Same as OneSource
8. ActorsReps-Scammy agency. Mostly deal with extra work.
9. EAM Casting/Mediaentertainment1.com-Google "Bill Starkov" and you'll see that this company scammed a lot of people.
10. Dedicated-Originally Zanuck, Passon, and Pace, one of the scammiest agencies in L.A. When they were ZPP they would make their clients use their photographer and take their classes. They also made you get 10 character shots such as literally dressing up like a doctor, cop, construction worker, etc. You don't get character shots! Dedicated is still up to this scheme.
11. Michael Zanuck-Split from Dedicated in hopes of bettering his reputation, but still up to the same schemes. He at least makes you get 6 character shots instead of 10.
12. Doug Bennett of Don Gerler-He makes you get 15 character shots. Wastes your time with multiple 2 hour interviews, consisting of him mostly talking. If you thought the agent movie stereotype was phony, think again.
13. Sylvia Ferguson-Not state licensed. Charges $140 a year for this bogus casting service called E-Talent files. She entices potential clients into getting the service by saying it will help better their chances.
14. Talent6-Inferior casting site. They like to send "urgent" e-mails from supposed CDs wanting to audition you in their projects. In order to respond you have to pay the Talent Hunter fee to leave reply messages on the site!
15. Barbizon-Popular school in the 70s. Now another JRP.
16. Kevyn Major Howard-Overcharges and under delivers. Does a lot of things that agents/cds hate with regards to headshots. He's also known to hit on hot girls during photo shoots.
17. MMPRG- Management company that works with Baron Entertainment. They make you take classes with them for $80 bucks a month. They also make you use their photographer who isn't very good. They prey mostly on people doing extra work in L.A. using bait and swtich tactics. Howard Ferguson (owner) tells people that he's associated with Baron Entertainment, edifies the hell out of them and gets people interested in coming to his management company.
18. Model Management Inc-Upfront fees. Another ONESOURCE.
19. Talent Hunter-Another inferior casting site. They post "urgent" e-mails from supposed CDs wanting to audition you in their projects. In order to respond you would have to pay the Talent Hunter fee to leave reply messages on the site!
20. Actor's Club (they advertise fake breakdowns on other sites and then when you submit for the "project", they tell you to go to the "Actor's Club" site to fill out a profile. Only after you have done all that do they tell you about the fees. PRESTO they have your email and then they SPAM you forever to join their site.
21. Talent Jug- Like Explore Talent where it takes castings from other casting sites. They also mysteriously get your email and spam you.
22. ACT-Another JRP
23. Pinkerton Model And Talent-Not state licensed. Lynn Venturella Pinkerton has been known to be associated with various scams notably "Best New Talent" an over-priced weekend seminar where you pay ridiculous amounts to audition, be judged and possibly "be discovered."
24. Best New Talent-need I say more?
25. Instantcast.com-Another Explore Talent
26. Ambiance Talent in Chattanooga, TN- There have been reports of the agency telling potential clients to take their $700 class before signing with them
27. Alan Baltes-Charges money for inferior services that have inaccurate information.
28. Proscout-Another one of those overpriced seminars where you pay big bucks in hopes to get "discove 3 years ago Report AbuseAdditional Details28-Proscout-Another one of those overpriced seminars where you pay big bucks in hopes to get "discovered." The creators claim that Wilhelmina and Ford was involved with their creation, when they have made it clear that they are NOT involved with this. False promises galore! They also give your contact info to scammy schools like John Casablancas, JRP, etc.
29. TCA/Teri- For $100, she claims that she can get you SAG vouchers from extra work quickly. There have been multiple reports of her FAILING to deliver as promised!
30. Triple C Productions/Curtis Arsenal-Independent film production company that has been reported to ask $200 upfront to help with the distribution.
31. Elen's Kids (elenskids.com)- There have been multiple reports of this "agency" charging upfront fees of $599, inferior headshot services, and false promises. Possibility of it being linked to Kids.com a company that was exposed on Dateline.
32. Kids.com/AdKids (Justourkids.com)-Exposed on Dateline 3 years ago